Simple Supper: Annie's Eats Baked Southwestern Eggrolls | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

January 10, 2012

Simple Supper: Annie's Eats Baked Southwestern Eggrolls



Ah!  When is the last time I shared a recipe? 


Like, forever ago.


Anyway, in the past few weeks (months?) since I've posted a recipe, I've come across quite a few good ones (and even managed to create some of my own).  The recipe I wanted to share with you today I found on Pinterest. 


Pinterest. The Breakfast of Champions.


Are you obsessed with it yet? I could pin crap all day. Literally.


So I stumbled across the most tantalizing picture of Southwestern Eggrolls, repinned it because it looks AH.MAH.ZING. And then I followed the pin to the actual website, Annie's Eats.  I love Annie's blog. And her food. And her pictures. 


And then. AND THEN. I took a looksie over the recipe.  Can I tell you my heart skipped a beat to find that: 


1) These eggrolls were BAKED not FRIED. Can we say healthy?


2) These eggrolls were meatless. Can we say healthy?


Annie is my new official hero. Especially because they taste even better than you think they will, and we've been eating them roughly once a week for the past several weeks. AND THEY JUST KEEP GETTING TASTIER.


::swoon::


Simple Supper

(linked from Annie's Eats)

2 cups of frozen corn, thawed
1 10oz pkg of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 15oz can of black beans, drained
1 4oz can of chopped green chiles
4 green onions, chopped
2 cups of shredded cheese (Annie recommends a Mexican blend. I use low-fat Cheddar)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I don't add this, incase Little Chica wants to try some)
1 pkg eggroll wrappers (I like the Nasoya brand)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet (or cover with parchment paper).

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the eggroll wrappers.

Take an eggroll wrapper, and place it on the counter in front of you so it looks like a diamond (one of the points facing down toward you). Place 2-4 TBS of the filling in the center (Annie says 1/4 cup, but if you want to spread it further, you can use a little less).  Bring the bottom tip of the egg roll up and over the filling and roll slightly.  Then bring in the 2 side tips into the center and continue rolling.  When you get to the top tip, dip your finger in water and brush the edge/tip.  Bring the moistened tip over the top and seal.  Repeat with the rest of the filling and wrappers. 

Place on greased cookie sheet, seam side down.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15-17 minutes (until lightly brown), turning once.

~~~~~

These are SO STINKING GOOD.  

Serve With: Salsa and sour cream, although I wouldn't hold it against you if you threw in some guacamole.  

Fun Add In: One time, I made southwestern chicken for dinner.  The next night, I shredded the leftovers and added them to the filling of these eggrolls. The outcome was stupendous.

Where to Find Eggroll Wrappers: I had a heck of a time finding eggroll wrappers. To save yourself the time, go directly to the customer service counter and ask where they are. Not all grocery stores have them. They are most likely in the produce section, with the tofu.

Important Tip: Make sure to incorporate all the ingredients in the filling.  One time I added the black beans at the end and didn't stir well - and the eggrolls tasted more beany than I would have liked.  So make sure everything gets seasoned!

And if you haven't already, check out Annie's Eats.  It may just change your life.


3 comments :

  1. I know where to find some eggroll wrappers. In the bottom of my freezer because I bought them several years ago to make eggrolls and never did.

    Anyhoo, this looks like a great recipe. Definitely something I need to try, and I'll check out Annie's blog. 'Cause I need more recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL@ Barb!
    Seriously, this recipe sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google