Simple Supper Monday, Vol 64: Chickpea and Greens Curry | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

April 25, 2011

Simple Supper Monday, Vol 64: Chickpea and Greens Curry

Last December (not this past December, but the December before), Amazon.com had this awesome magazine sale. What constitutes awesome? Real Simple magazine year-long subscription for $5. Many great magazines for $5 or $10 year-long subscriptions. I was overwhelmed and overstimulated by the idea of getting all these great magazines in the mail. There would be SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO every month.

So...I went a bit overboard.

And by "a bit overboard," I mean that I might have subscribed to 12 different magazines.

It was a bit excessive.

Anyway, rest assured that most of the subscriptions have expired and I did not renew them.

One of the more interesting subscriptions I had was to Vegetarian Times Magazine. No, I'm not a vegetarian. But having some meatless meals on hand is a good thing, and they had some very worthwhile recipes and articles to read. In one of the recent issues, a reader submitted an intriguing recipe that Hubby and I were excited to try. I made it up one day, and it was FANTASTIC.

So, of course, I wanted to share it with you.





~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~






Simple Supper Monday






Chickpea and Greens Curry







1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon, Ground
1 tsp Ground Turmeric
1/2 tsp Spices, Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Nutmeg, Ground
1 medium Onion, Raw
2 cups kale, raw
15 oz Boiled Chickpeas
1 Medium Tomato
15 oz Coconut Milk, Light
1/4 cup Cilantro
8 tbsp Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt

Heat oil in saucepan over medium high heat. Add curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric, chilipowder, nutmeg, and onion, stir gently.

Add spinach, kale or mustard greens and cook x 2 minutes, stirring occaisionally.

Stir in chick peas, tomato, broth and coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer x 1 HOUR. Add cilatnro and garnish each with 1 Tbs yogurt

Notes:

1) I haven't used the garnish of yogurt and cilantro. And it tastes perfectly fine without it.

2) To up the "oomph" of this recipe, I add 1 cup of lentils (picked through and rinsed) when the chickpeas are added. The give the soup a great body and tons of protein.


~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~


Hubby and I have reall enjoyed this - sometimes pairing it with some Naan bread and a salad. The great thing about this recipe is that you get all the taste, but no guilt because it's SO GOOD FOR YOU.


And...should you ever come across a great magazine sale on amazon.com...may you have more self-control than I did.


If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out for you!


Would love to try out some new recipes, so be sure to send them my way! I will happily post them for the rest of the community!




No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google