Simple Supper Monday - Volume 54: Chicken Tortilla Soup | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

June 1, 2010

Simple Supper Monday - Volume 54: Chicken Tortilla Soup

I hope you had as nice of a weekend as I had. First, it was a 3-day weekend. This means I had Hubby all to myself with no work interfering for 3 days instead of 2. This gives me a lot of joy. Because my Hubby is awesome. And handsome. And a big help around the house. Second, it was a holiday weekend. So we had a great impromptu cookout with my in-laws yesterday, wherein my not-quite 2-year old ate beyond her weight in grilled chicken, corn on the cob, watermelon and beets. Yes, beets. Pickled beets. I'm still waiting for the massive explosion due in her diaper from the intense gastronomical pressure building from that meal. But it was rather tasty. Lastly, we had some amazing family members in. Hubby's cousins, cousins-in-law (ie: awesome spouses) and 1 set of aunt/uncle came to visit. They are amazing, hilarious and good-looking.
It runs in the family.

So, while I am glad to start a new day, I am a bit sad to say good bye to the weekend. Thankfully, it's one day closer than usual, thanks to the 3-day weekend.

Today's Simple Supper comes by way of my good friend, Bethany. I've known Bethany since she was in 6th grade, and I was in 8th grade. Back then, her last name was still Jones and my last name was still Recchiuti (Yeah. Just TRY pronouncing that one). I grew up with her brother, Rob (who is my age), and she grew up the closest of friends with my sister, Lissa (who is her age). I also became good friends with her older sister, Gwyneth as well. Both my sister and I have gone on to know the entire family, whom we love. One summer, I even worked with all 3 Jones siblings at a camp for an entire month. I later went on to live with a girl named Jen in an apartment wherein we manipulated free cable TV from cute boy neighbors next door. Jen later went on to marry Rob, and gave birth to Little Chica's best friend, Aiden. And somehow, we are all still friends.

Isn't it crazy how life comes around full circle?

All in all, we love the Jones family. And I was excited when I got an email from Bethany, wherein she stated:

1) She reads my blog. A small piece of my heart got all warm and fuzzy to learn that fact and...

2) She wanted to share a recipe with me.

SUPER SCORE!

Bethany passed along a recipe to me from one of my FA-VOR-ITE books of all time, Fix it and Forget it Cookbook.

Yes, this cookbook is about slow cookers.

Yes, I really do love it.

Don't judge me.

Bethany comments that the recipe it realllllllly simple, and can easily be thrown in the slow cooker first thing in the morning, making it ready for dinner when you come home from work. She also assured me it's really yummy. Double score.

~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Simple Supper Monday


Fix It And Forget It Cookbook's
Chicken Tortilla Soup
(passed along by Bethany)

  • 4 chicken breast halfs
  • 2 15oz. cans black beans, undrained
  • 2 15oz. cans Mexican stewed tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes
  • 1 cup salsa (mild, med, hot, whatever you prefer)
  • 4oz. can chopped green chillies
  • 14 1/2 oz. can tomato sauce
  • tortilla chips
  • 2 cups grated cheese


-Combine all ingredients except chips and cheese in large slow cooker
-Cover and cook 8 hours on low
-Just before serving remove chicken pieces and slice/tear into bit
size pieces and return to soup
-Serve in bowls- you can put the chips in the bottom and the cheese on
top or just dip the chips

Note from Bethany: This makes about 6-8 servings...I often half the recipe and still
have leftovers!

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Wow, super yummy! Soup is so great in the Fall - but when it's hot and the AC is on, I can definitely whip up a pot to enjoy. Don't forget, easy soups like this are great to make and freeze, or to give when someone needs a meal.

Hope you enjoy! Check back this week for some more posts - I have a great cake recipe I can't wait to share with you!







StumbleUpon.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google