Simple Supper Monday - Volume 50: Black Bean and Mango Burritos | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

April 26, 2010

Simple Supper Monday - Volume 50: Black Bean and Mango Burritos

Hi Friends!

I know I haven't been as aggressive with my recipe posting as I have been in the past. I think it's a combination of the fact that I have an almost 2-year old and we are obsessively house hunting, stupidly hoping that SOMETHING will work out by April 30.

Did I mention April 30 is Friday?

Like THIS Friday?

Yeah. So you can imagine the hard work we've been putting into seeing houses, writing offers and getting rejected. We are awesomely good at getting rejected.

Needless to say, I've been stumbling through my weeks, rotating the same menu items, and getting majorly bored with my options. I need to branch out and start trying new things again. But right now, that's just not going to happen.

That is why I love love love it when you all send me awesome recipes to put into my stockpile. This one comes by way of Jeannine. I have posted her recipes before. We have known each other since middle school. Yes, she is the one who stole my donut during lunch one day. We were also in marching band together.

Crap. Did I say that outloud? Don't judge me

This recipe sounds mouthwatering, and seems perfectly-timed with the coming Summer season. I hope to try it when things die down a bit. If you try it before I do, let me know how it turns out!


~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Simple Supper Mondays

Black Bean and Mango Burritos

  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 32 oz. chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • ½ tsp. cumin
  • 8 large flour tortillas
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 3 TBSP cilantro or parsley, chopped
  • 2 mangos, skinned and coarsly chopped
  • 4 oz. canned diced jalapenos
  • 8 oz. colby jack cheese, shredded
  • 2 cans black beans, drained and lightly rinsed
  • sour cream
  • taco sauce or salsa


1. In a large saucepan, put 3 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of water, along with the bay leaf and cumin. Add chicken breasts (they should be submerged or nearly submerged in the liquid). Bring to boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until chicken is done. Remove chicken, cool slightly, and either cube it or shred it using forks. Discard broth.

2. In a large skillet, cook the chopped onion in hot oil until tender. Add beans, canned chili peppers, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cook for several minutes and mash with a potato masher or back of wooden spoon. Add parsley and stir. Let simmer until thick (approx. 5 minutes).

3. Remove tortillas from packaging and microwave for 30 seconds or so to warm them a bit and make them easier to roll

4. Spray a 9x13 inch pan (or one size larger) with cooking spray. Spread chicken, black beans, cheese, and mango in middle of a tortilla and roll up. Use toothpicks if necessary to hold them together. Line them up in the pan, and sprinkle more cheese on top.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with salsa or taco sauce and sour cream.


~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~


Oh yum. I so wish I had all of these ingredients on hand RIGHT NOW. And I'm not even done drinking my morning coffee.

Keep sending me your recipes to try and post! I hope to kick back into high gear soon enough - don't give up on me!

Have a great week - many more posts to come!

moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com




StumbleUpon.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google