Simple Supper Monday - Volume 49: Butternut Squash, Bacon and Shrimp Risotto | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

April 12, 2010

Simple Supper Monday - Volume 49: Butternut Squash, Bacon and Shrimp Risotto

I love when people oblige my pleas and send me recipes.

This recipe comes to you by way of good ol' high school friend, Jeannine. Actually, come to think of it, we knew each other waaaaaay back in middle school. It was during middle school wherein Jeannine stole a donut from my lunch, insisting I told her it was "okay" (like I would ever sacrifice something as good as a donut. Yeah right. Nice try). We were friends ever since.

Now, I don't eat seafood. This includes shrimp. But I pass this recipe along to you, knowing that most people do not have my eating neurosis. And you will most likely love this. Because from the sounds of it, if I liked seafood, I'd be all over this.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Simple Supper Monday

Butternut Squash, Bacon and Shrimp Risotto


  • ¼ pound bacon, chopped
  • 1 pound shrimp, deveined, detailed, and peeled
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 large onion , chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 cup short-grain rice, such as arborio
  • 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, heated until nearly boiling
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
  • ½ cup milk

1. In large skillet or saucepan, saute bacon until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to medium bowl.

2. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper and add to saucepan/bacon drippings. Cook until just cooked through, or if already cooked, until warm. Add shrimp and pan juices to bowl with bacon.

3. Add olive oil to same saucepan, and when warm, add inion and garlic. Cook over medium heat, for approximately 5 minutes, until onion is soft and translucent. Add rice and stir for one minute. Add hot broth, increase heat and bring to boiling.

4. Add squash, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring often or almost constantly, until rice and squash are tender and mixture is creaming, about 15-20 minutes. If necessary, add more broth.

5. Stir in milk, shrimp, and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

On second thought, this sounds delightful. I might just have to break down and try it myself.

If you try this, will you kindly leave a comment?

And Jeannine: THANK YOU. You rock. And you most likely already know it.

Have a good week!





StumbleUpon.com

1 comment :

  1. Just for the record, everyone, Steph said, "ok" when I asked her if I could have her donut. She just didn't really realize it because she was socializing. It was totally legit. You would think, all these years later, she would realize that she has emotionally scarred me with her false allegations. But no, she continues to place the blame on poor old me. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google