Simple Supper Monday - Volume 46: Apricot Chicken | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

March 1, 2010

Simple Supper Monday - Volume 46: Apricot Chicken

I am so over snow.

The one thing I enjoy about snow days, though, is stocking up on good ingredients and cooking or baking my way through the day. No matter how sick I am of snow, I always enjoy a well-cooked tasty meal in a warm house while Mother Nature throws a snow fit.

I am also so over Mother Nature. But that's another story for another day.

As per our usual Sunday Routine, we had dinner at my in-law's house last night. My MIL (mother-in-law) always cooks up a wonderful meal. And yesterday, she did not let us down. I will share the recipe she whipped up in the near future. Today, though, I'd like to share with you another great meal that my MIL makes often. It is one of those recipes that everyone has a version of, and can be found in many church cookbooks (note: those church cookbooks are gold - so never turn down a chance to take one home! Even if you don't go to church!).

So simple. So tasty.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Simple Supper Monday

Apricot Chicken

  • 2-3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 packet of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
  • 1 small bottle of Russian/Thousand Island Dressing
  • 1 jar of Apricot Jelly/Jam



Preheat oven to 350º. Place chicken in a greased 13x9-inch glass baking dish (any size is fine, as long as all the chicken fits). In a small bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350º for 45 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

I love the sweetness of this chicken dish. The sauce tastes amazing when it is sopped up by crusty bread! YUM! I also appreciate that it calls for very few ingredients, which are often already on hand in my pantry.

Feel free to experiment! I've seen different versions of this recipe, calling for french or catalina dressing instead of russian/thousand island. Try raspberry or pineapple jelly instead, for a unique twist!

(PS - some recipes say this works well in a slow cooker. In my (and my MIL's) experience, the chicken cooks too quickly, and the sauce burns, resulting in a less-than-savory meal. So, while I am a HUGE slow cooker advocate, keep this one in the oven)

I'd love to hear your combinations are for this recipe! Leave a comment below!

Friends, as I wrap up this post, I need to confess: I'm in need of major inspiration, as I've been in a Simple Supper Slump recently. And we all know how much that stinks! So keep sending me your Simple Supper recipes! moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com


Have a good week, and check back in for more posts!






StumbleUpon.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google