Meatless Meals, Vol 11: Steph's Bean Tacos | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

March 17, 2010

Meatless Meals, Vol 11: Steph's Bean Tacos

I can't believe that Spring is just around the corner (literally - today is Wednesday, and Spring starts on Saturday). My heart has longed for this all Winter. And it is finally here. WAHOO!

Since embarking on the journey to reduce the amount of meat in our diet, Hubby and I have faired surprisingly well. Last night we were trying to calculate how many meals involving meat we eat weekly. I think, on average, it is roughly 2. That is SO not what we intended, but has worked out well!

We still believe meat is fine to eat (we are not vegetarians at this point). In fact, Hubby was remarking he was craving one of the slow cooker beef roasts that I used to make. So, we have an order in to the meat vendor at our local growers market for some chicken breasts and beef roasts. We put in for 2 packages of chicken and 2 beef roasts. That will last us probably about 2 or 3 months, since we are eating meat so rarely. What amazes me is that we used to eat that same quantity per WEEK. To reiterate our position: meat is not BAD. We like meat. Just not in our every day (or week) diet. And when we do eat meat, we aim to get locally grown, grass-fed products that were raised in a healthy way. It's better for you. And for them. And for the environment. Win-Win-Win.

Last night Hubby and I had a great Meatless Meal that I wanted to pass along to you! We like tacos (let me rephrase that. I like tacos. Hubby LURRRRRRVES tacos). So, I got a really simple idea in my head on how to make a Meatless Taco without it being weird and gross. Of course. We experimented with the recipe last night, and it came out GREAT! I even ate the leftovers today (and that is saying something, because I am not always good about eating leftovers)!

Sometimes, people balk at things that are different. I used to be afraid (literally, afraid) of reducing meat in my diet. I thought it would mean I'd have to eat weird things like TVP and Tofu and stuff like that. It's not true. If you are creative and a bit adventurous, meatless meals can easily become a part of your life without a total life overhaul. JUST TRY IT (heck, start with the recipe below!)

~~~~~

Meatless Meals

Steph's Bean Tacos


  • 1 can of Pinto Beans, washed and drained
  • 1 can of Black Beans, washed and drained
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning
  • Taco Fixin's (lettuce, tomato, cheese, tortillas or shells, olives, etc)

In a saute pan, warm up the beans on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Add entire packet of taco seasoning. Heat on low until combined (I couldn't eat it right away, so I simmered it for about 30 minutes. If you are going to simmer, add a small amount of water or stock). Use in place of ground beef in your tacos!

NOTES:

1) Use 1 can of refried beans in place of black/pinto beans

~~~~~

Yes, that's it. I feel like it's a no-brainer, so I'm sure someone else has thought of it before me - but I couldn't find anything on the internet like it. I really enjoy that it is simple, but still makes a hearty taco. Hubby remarked, "I love that I can not eat meat and still enjoy tacos." Well said, Hubby.

Today, I ate the leftover beans as a quesadilla - spreading about 1/2 cup of bean mixture over 1/2 of the tortilla. I topped it with arugula and reduced-fat cheddar (it's all I have - and just so you know, Cabot Cheese makes some AMAZING reduced-fat cheese. So check it out!). I folded the tortilla in half, and heated it up in the microwave for about a minute and a half. It was scrumptious!

Eating less meat doesn't have to be a production or a strain. If you just put your mind to it, you will be surprised at the meals you can come up with.

If you try this, let me know how it turns out for you!

Do you have a Meatless Taco recipe? Or any kind of Meatless Meal worth passing on? Share it with the rest of the community at moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google