Simple Supper Monday - Volume 44: Baked Chicken Fingers | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

February 8, 2010

Simple Supper Monday - Volume 44: Baked Chicken Fingers

Although I am a Stay-at-Home Mom, I do babysit once a week for my friend, Carter's, children. Carter, her husband and her kids are a wonderful family, and it is a delight to watch the kids weekly. One of my duties when babysitting is to feed the kids dinner. Carter always has fun and interesting meals lined up, often simple and quick recipes for her sake since, she works in the evening.

Last week, Carter threw together a great little dish that I wanted to share with you. I asked her for it today when I arrived for babysitting, and copied it down before she left. The recipe is simple, but tasty, and a neat (AND HEALTHY!) take on an old favorite.

Thanks for sharing this with me, Carter!

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Simple Supper Monday


Baked Chicken Fingers

  • 12 oz boneless skinless chicken tenders, cut into "fingers" or "nuggets"(you're preference)
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 TBS honey
  • 1 tsp mustard
  • 1 cup of corn flake crumbs (or 1 cup of corn flakes crushed finely in a ziplock bag)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • dash of pepper

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees

2) In a small bowl, combine egg, honey and mustard, whisking until combined. In a ziplock bag, combine corn flake crumbs, salt and pepper.

3) Dip chicken in egg mixture. After it is coated with egg mixture, transfer the chicken (in batches, if necessary) to corn flake mixture in ziplock bag. Shake until all pieces are well-coated.

4) Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, and arrange chicken. Cook for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees, or until chicken is cooked through.

( 4 servings: 179 calories, 2 grams fat, 0 grams fiber)

Notes:

I think this is a fun recipe to experiment with. Try honey mustard or spicy brown mustard. Add some balsamic vinegar to the wet coating mixture. Use crushed Cheerios or Chex Mix instead of Corn Flakes. Sprinkle some crushed rosemary or basil into the dry coating mixture. You could really come up with lots of cool flavor combinations!

This is a great "assembly line" recipe that you can do with your kids - no dangerous tools needed! And you can get your hands dirty! Score!

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~


Little Chica LOVES Chicken Nuggets, but they are so stinkin' expensive (especially given the rate she goes through them). And after watchingFood Inc, I'm wary about the meat and poultry products I am feeding my family. I can't wait to make my own nuggets for Lucy using organic (well-fed, free-range, non-antibiotic, etc) chicken. I hope she likes it, because it will save me some money AND I will feel GOOD about what I am feeding her!

Chicken fingers are such a kid-friendly meal, especially if they can help you create it. Carter's kids enjoyed the chicken (although 2 of them scraped the "crust" off), but I think I liked it best of all! So don't be shy to serve this tasty chicken dish to adult guests: Present them skewered, on a dish, with several dipping sauces (for example: Marinara Sauce, Peanut Sauce, Honey Mustard) as an appetizer or serve with couscous and broccoli as a main course!

If you try this out, let me know what you think! I will pass the thought along to Carter as well! Don't be shy: send me YOUR Simple Supper recipes to try and post for the rest of the community!

Check back tomorrow for a GREAT Meatless Meal that you will be DYING to try!

moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com



1 comment :

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google