Tasty Treat Thursday: Cinnamon Pumpkin Banana Bread (aka "Breakfast Bread") | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

October 1, 2009

Tasty Treat Thursday: Cinnamon Pumpkin Banana Bread (aka "Breakfast Bread")

This recipe came my way via my Hubby's grandmother, Marion. She is a wonderful, lovely lady, and an amazing cook as well! Grandma found this recipe in our local newspaper, the Daily Local News. It comes from AP Food Editor, J.M. Hirsch. I appreciate this treat because it is HEALTHY. Yes, that's right. It's a HEALTHY tasty treat. Often the 2 do not go hand in hand. The recipe's author set out to find a healthy food (in this case, quick bread) that would keep her son full, but be versatile enough to be eaten at breakfast, lunch or as a snack. The goal was to keep the sugar and saturated fat down and make it "jammed with whole grains."

It comes together quickly, and makes 2 loaves of bread that is FULL of high energy, full fiber ingredients. I have started to refer to it as "Breakfast Bread." With oats, flax meal, whole-wheat flour and pumpkin, it is a powerhouse of goodness. When I make it, not only do I enjoy it as my breakfast or a snack, but my 14-month old Little Chica enjoys it as well!

Now, I will warn you: this is not a sweet bread. I'd be lying if I said it tasted as heavenly as your favorite chocolate cake or banana bread recipe. It does taste, well, healthy. It is only mildly sweet. But for me, it is sweet enough to take the edge off of my sweet tooth. And I feel good knowing that I am eating something good for me. We love this bread in my household. So, I really encourage YOU to try this recipe. Once you do, come back and leave a comment to let me know your thoughts!

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Tasty Treat Thursday


Cinnamon Pumpkin Banana Bread
(aka "Breakfast Bread")
Servings: 20, 10 slices per loaf
  • 15-oz can pumpkin or squash puree
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (I used regular organic whole-wheat flour)
  • 1 cup quick rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend (or 3/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp allspice)
  • (Steph's Extras: I added some wheat germ and extra cinnamon for extra flavor and nutrients)

1) heat oven to 350º. Coat 2 standard loaf pans with cooking spray.

2) With a mixer or food processor, combine the pumpkin puree, bananas, vanilla extract and eggs. Process/mix until smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed.

3) Add flour, oats, flax meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice blend. Process until thoroughly blended, about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed.

4) Transfer batter (will be THICK - so you might need to use a spoon, as it will not pour) to prepared loaf pans. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted at center comes out clean. Let COOL before slicing.

Nutrition Info per serving (values rounded to nearest whole number): 120 calories; 21 calories from fat; 2 g fat (0 g saturated, 0 g trans fats); 18 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbs; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 111 mg sodium.

Note from Recipe's Author: The second loaf of bread can be refrigerated for more than a week, or sliced and frozen.

Note from Steph: For those on Weight Watchers, 1 slice = 2 points (not bad!!)

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

If you attempt this recipe, I'd really really love to hear how it turns out for you. Do you have HEALTHY Tasty Treat recipes? Send them my way, and I will share them with the rest of the community!

moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com


No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google