Scrumptious Sides and Salads, Vol 5: 7-Layer Mexican Salad | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

July 22, 2009

Scrumptious Sides and Salads, Vol 5: 7-Layer Mexican Salad

So, my husband's grandmother is an awesome cook. When we got engaged, Grandma made all the ladies a cookbook for Christmas filled with generations of family recipes. I CHERISH it, and have continued to add new recipes to the book. She is incredibly thoughtful, and great at hosting family dinners.

Recently, Grandma has been bringing this AWESOME salad to family get-togethers. It's simple, so I'm not sure why I love it so much. It's SO tasty, and I am usually the one unabashedly scraping the bottom of the salad bowl, hoping to grab up every last morsel.

(My in-laws are SO glad I married into the family. Just kidding! But seriously...)

Grandma made it again this past Monday, when we came together to celebrate my sister-in-law, Hilary's, birthday dinner (Happy Birthday, Hil!). It was then that I decided I needed to post this simple but scrumptious recipe on the blog. It's a fresh salad that would compliment any summer menu (especially grilled chicken or steak), but could easily carry over into the other seasons as a wonderful side dish.

So, if you've been wracking your brain for that perfect salad to bring to a cookout, or you are having friends over for dinner, I've got you covered...

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~



Scrumptious Sides and Salads



7-Layer Mexican Salad


  • 4 C. chopped Lettuce
  • 1 C. chopped Tomato
  • 1/2 C. chopped Green Onions
  • 1- 4-1/2 oz. can Black Olives sliced, drained
  • 1- 15-1/2 oz. can Dark Kidney Beans, drained
  • 1 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 C. Salsa Ranch or Salsa Zesty Dressing
  • Crushed tortilla chips


1) Later lettuce, tomato, onions, olives, beans, cheese and dressing in 3 qt. glass bowl

2) Refrigerate

3)Top with crushed chips and toss lightly just before serving.

Makes 8-10 servings

Notes:

~ Because it is SO tasty, I suggest doubling the recipe - because if you have anyone like me at the table, it won't be enough!

~ If any of those ingredients do not agree with your palate, feel free to subtract or add as you see fit! It's a pretty flexible recipe.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Do you have any side dish, salad or appetizer recipes? Email me and I will share them with the rest of the community!

moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com

1 comment :

  1. By the way - yes, we most certainly are glad you married into the family for so many reasons, but your enthusiasm for food really is a particular joy!

    Glad you mentioned the salad. I need to take one to a cookout Sat. Now I know what to take!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google