Simple Supper Mondays - Volume 16: Stir-Fry #1 | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

May 11, 2009

Simple Supper Mondays - Volume 16: Stir-Fry #1

It was a great day at the West Chester Farmer's Market on Saturday (I'll post more about that later this week). It's still early in the season, so the produce showing was still slim, but it gives me a lot of excitement for the weeks to come!

The freshness of the Market inspired Bill and I to get a lot of veggies, which in turn inspired us to make a Stir Fry tonight! I love how healthy stir-frying can be, how fresh the ingredients are, and (OF COURSE!) how quickly it can come together!

I've stir-fried before, with "okay" results. I scoured the web for some recipes, and found one that seemed promising. I will share it with you, try it tonight, and do a quick post tomorrow on the turn out!

(Note: I'd love some good stir-fry recipes. If you have any, would you kindly send them my way?)







Simple Supper Mondays


Stir-Fry Attempt #1






Sauce:
  • 1/2 c. cornstarch
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger root
  • 2 lg. cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce
  • 1/4 c. cider vinegar
  • 2 c. chicken or beef broth
  • 1/2 c. dry sherry (optional)
  • 1/2 c. water
Combine first 5 ingredients. Add Soy Sauce and Vinegar. Shake until blended. Add broth, sherry and water. Shake. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks, also freezable.

Stir-Fry Recipe (For Chicken):
  • 3 tbsp. oil
  • 1 1/2 c. carrots, sliced
  • 2 green peppers, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 onions, 1/2 inch wedges
  • 2 whole chicken breasts, cut into sm. chunks

Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry vegetables, 5 minutes. Remove. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken pieces until cooked. Stir in 1 cup stir-fry sauce. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat for 1 minute.

~~~~~

My variations for tonight: I have some Sugar Snap Peas and Baby Corn I will be tossing in with the aforementioned veggies. I'll also be using leftover beef that we grilled this weekend (a great Grill Recipe that I will share, maybe this week!) instead of chicken. Hopefully this will still turn out ok! AUGH! Creativity!

Please send me your stir-fry recipes! I'd love to try them out and post them for the rest of the community to use!

moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com

1 comment :

  1. I was just watching a show the other day on stir frying. I was thinking that I need to do that more often because it's quick and healthy.

    I'm excited to hear how it turned out...maybe I'll try it later in the week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google