Simple Supper Mondays - Volume 15: (Steph's Simplified Version of) Pasta with Artichokes and Fresh Ricotta | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

May 4, 2009

Simple Supper Mondays - Volume 15: (Steph's Simplified Version of) Pasta with Artichokes and Fresh Ricotta

I'd say, "Happy Monday," but that would be such a slap in the face. Why? Because 1) it's MONDAY and 2) it's a gray and rainy day here in southeastern PA.

*sigh*

BUT...

I AM excited to share a new Simple Supper recipe with you. YAY!!!!!

I found this recipe in Cooking Light magazine. The first time I made it, it was terribly complicated, and I wasn't sure I could put myself through the agony of preparing it again. It tasted pretty good, but it calls for the chef to work with/clean/chop fresh artichokes.

(Note: it is NEVER EVER worth using fresh artichokes. NEVER. I say this, now, from experience. Please, do NOT try that at home.)

Since it had amazing potential as a dish, I didn't want to give up on it. I really love artichokes, ricotta and garlic - and this was a dish that had them all! So, I simplified the recipe, and WHAM! It's now a good, simple meal! It literally comes together in under 30 minutes (if you time it right and coordinate, it takes only about 15 minutes). If you want the original recipe (and you ignore my artichoke disclaimer above), you can find it here. If you want to go the Steph (read: easy) Route, scroll on down! Good luck!







Simple Supper Mondays




(Steph's Simplified Version of )
"Pasta with Artichokes and Fresh Ricotta"
(adapted from Cooking Light magazine)

  • 1 14-oz can of Whole Artichoke Hearts
  • 3 TBS extra-virgin Olive Oil, divided
  • 1 heaping tsp of minced garlic
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3 cups uncooked Penne Pasta
  • 1 heaping TBS dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
  • *Shredded Parmesan Cheese

1) Drain artichokes.

2) Heat 2 TBS oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute. Add artichokes and salt; cover and cook 10 minutes or until artichokes are tender, stirring occasionally.

3) Cook pasta according to package instructions, omitting salt and far. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Combine remaining 1 TBS oil, artichoke mixture, pasta, reserved cooking liquid, parsley and pepper in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Add ricotta cheese in spoonfuls, stirring gently to combine. Top with parmesan cheese (* optional)

Notes:

1) Working with the fresh artichokes, as per the original recipe, was WAY too difficult. I had no idea how to cut, de-fuzz, and differentiate between edible and inedible. I also didn't cook the 'chokes long enough in the garlic-oil mixture, so they were still very tough. I HIGHLY recommend using the canned artichokes. The hard work is already done, and they come out SO nice and tender.

2) I used jarred minced garlic. If you really like garlic, go ahead and use 2 tsp!

3) The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley. I NEVER have that on hand (but I am hoping to start an herb garden soon, so hopefully I will have it on hand in the near future), so I just substituted some of the dried herb (roughly 2 TBS, but that is a guesstimate - I just sprinkled a bunch on there). It works just as well as fresh.

4) If you like Ricotta Cheese, and want the pasta to be really creamy, be brave and use more than 1/2 cup.

5) My hubby and I were saying that this would be a great summer side dish if served chilled. We also want to try putting some chopped, grilled chicken in the dish as well. Also also, I'd like to see if I can morph this into a baked ziti-style dish. I will let you know how that turns out.

If you try this out, let me know how it works for you! Any ideas on variations?

Please send me your recipes to post for the rest of the community! moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com.



1 comment :

  1. This looks yummy...I'm a big fan of artichokes and always get them jarred or canned. I'm going to try this sometime soon...I think chicken would be great in it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google