Tasty Treat Thursday: Banana Pineapple Streusel Muffins | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

April 23, 2009

Tasty Treat Thursday: Banana Pineapple Streusel Muffins

Tuesday night, I made a really tasty meal (the recipes of which I hope to share next week). The marinade I used called for Pineapple Juice. I didn't have Pineapple Juice, but I did have a big can of Crushed Pineapple. So, I drained the pineapple, used the juice, and threw the pineapples in a tupperware container.

I then set off on a search for a recipe using pineapples.

So often I find that leftover food, especially if it is a food I don't use often (like pineapple), just goes to waste. I have become more committed to only cooking food that I know we will eat (and/or enjoy the leftovers to). I was thrown off by the pineapple juice, but I stuck with my commitment, and stumbled across an amazing recipe I couldn't wait to share with you!

I have never had pineapples in muffins (did anyone know such a thing was even possible?!?), but the recipe looked so tasty, I couldn't resist trying it out. AND, it took care of my "problem" with leftover pineapples.

These muffins are very tasty, but not overly sweet. I made these tender vittles yesterday, and have found the pair nicely with my morning cup of coffee. The recipe is also great - it PERFECTLY makes 24 muffins (or 1 loaf of bread and 12 muffins). I feel these would be great served at a brunch or given as a gift, because they are different. It sends the message, "You are more special than the regular run-of-the-mill Blueberry Muffin."

Ah, yes. I am special.

I also enjoy these muffins because, apart from the pineapples, the ingredients are all things I usually have on hand. So, I share these with you today, Tasty Treat Thursday, in the hopes that many families or friends will wake up to the glorious scent of them baking Saturday morning :)

Tasty Treat Thursday





Streusel Topping:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup cold butter

Batter:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
  • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, thoroughly drained
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Streusel Topping:
1. Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs.

Batter:
1. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, and cinnamon; stir in pecans or walnuts. Set aside.

2. Combine beaten eggs, oil, mashed bananas, drained crushed pineapple and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overstir!

3. Fill paper-lined OR greased muffin tins a little more than half full. Sprinkle tops with streusel mixture. Bake about 25 to 30 minutes for regular muffins, and about 15 to 18 minutes for mini-muffins. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on wire racks.

OTHER OPTION FROM AUTHOR OF RECIPE: Spoon batter into a greased and floured loaf pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of streusel mixture over the top of the loaf. Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.

Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Use remaining batter for your favorite-sized muffins.
Yield: 1 medium loaf, plus 1 dozen medium muffins, plus 1 dozen mini-muffins


If you try the recipe, let me know how it turns out!

Do you have a Tasty Treat recipe? Send it in! moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for the comment Steph! Your blog is also great - have to start trying your recipes! Good idea :-)

    So we have a driveway and I put the baby in the car (all the time) and then run back in the house to grab everything I need. It's just so much easier that way, ha-ha!!

    You need a 'follow me' button (unless I overlooked it) so I can add you to my list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! I'll try it.

    I have the easiest and yummiest recipe that I make all the time. You won't believe how good it is and a snap to make. It's also only 2 points a serving for those on weight watchers.

    1 box of angle food cake mix
    1 can crushed pineapples, (in the larger can whatever that is), (also get the one in natural juices)

    Mix together. Nothing else. No water, nothing. bake for about 30 min. on 350.

    This is so good! You'll love it with coffee in the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google