Scrumptious Sides and Salads, Vol 2: Fruit, Nut and Blue Cheese Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

April 1, 2009

Scrumptious Sides and Salads, Vol 2: Fruit, Nut and Blue Cheese Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

I've been enjoying this simple salad for a few weeks now, and really would love to share it with you. It pairs well with any meal, but in this season of grilling, I'd like to say it goes especially well with BBQ'd steak or chicken.

I first had this salad at Duclaw Brewing Company in Bowie, MD, while visiting my sister. The salad was a meal, filled with grilled chicken and lots of fruit. Once I started re-creating it at home, I nix the chicken when I use it as a side salad. When I make it for my lunch, I throw in some Perdue Shortcuts Grilled Chicken.

Amounts are approximate, and feel free to put in more of what you like and subtract the things you dislike. For being such a simple salad, it's surprisingly impressive to serve with your meal - so serve it when you have guests over!


Scrumptious Sides and Salads

Fruit, Nut and Blue Cheese Salad
with Poppy Seed Dressing

  • 4 of mixed salad greens
  • 1/2 cup of red seedless grapes, cut in half
  • 1/2 cup of strawberries (3-4 medium/large strawberries), chopped
  • 3 TBS of sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles
  • 1/2 cup of chicken (optional - use if serving salad as a meal, not a side)
  • Poppy Seed dressing

Combine salad greens, grapes and strawberries in a serving bowl. Drizzle with Poppy Seed dressing to taste. Mix well. Before serving, sprinkle with almonds and cheese.

Notes:

1) Dressing amount is approximate. I would say for the amount listed above, use about 1/4 cup. If you are not keen on dressing, use less. If you are a dressing-o-holic, use more.

2) Any almonds will do, but I found these Almond Accents bags in the grocery store (in the produce section with salad/fruit/etc). They have tons of flavors (some like "ranch" which would probably not go well with this), and I recently tried the "honey roasted" kind on this salad - it was delish!

3) As stated above, if making this a side salad, forgo the chicken. When making this salad a meal, serve with 1/4-1/2 cup sliced chicken per person.

4) Some people have trouble finding a good Poppy Seed dressing. I use Kraft Poppy Seed dressing and find it to be perfect (and not expensive!). Another great poppy seed dressing is made Brianna's. Brianna's PS Dressing is a little harder to find in some grocery stores (and a little more pricey), but very good.







It's really that simple! If you have any variations (or comments/opinions), leave me a comment. And keep sending me your side and salad recipes to share...




ENJOY!






moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com




No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google