Simple Supper Mondays - Volume 8: Slowcooker BBQ Chicken | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

March 16, 2009

Simple Supper Mondays - Volume 8: Slowcooker BBQ Chicken

I apologize for the hiatus. It's been a crazy week, as I am involved with a fundraising banquet TONIGHT, and it has sucked a lot of time and energy out of me!

Time's like these (busy/crazy/energy-zapping) really affirm in my heart the importance of having simple recipes on hand. For the past few weeks, Bill and I have resorted to a ridiculously simple recipe idea, and it's been surprisingly enjoyable! Sometimes, we overlook the most simplest of ideas, and by doing so, really miss out (and consequently, give ourselves MORE stress, as we attempt to find/concoct/gather ingredients/assemble a less-than-simple recipe).

I feel it is wrong to even call this a recipe - more of a method, perhaps? It has also served to give us a taste of summer, as it's been too cold recently to bring out our grill, but gives us a BBQ flavor. This method/recipe is great for accommodating 1 or 2 people OR a whole gaggle of people! Most people will almost always have the "ingredients" on hand - and the method lends itself to allowing people to tweak according to their own taste and creativity!

And it is, of course, a Slow-cooker Keeper Recipe!









Simple Supper Mondays

Slow-Cooker BBQ Chicken


  • 2 lbs Chicken Breasts
  • 1 bottle of BBQ sauce (I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy)

Spray Slow Cooker with cooking spray. Arrange chicken in the pot. Pour entire bottle of BBQ sauce over chicken. Cook on low 4-6 hours (go with the best time for your pot...my Slow-cooker can cook the chicken on low in 2 hours - it's superhuman). The chicken comes out really tender!

Yes, that's all there is to it!

We serve this up with a salad and a side of roasted potatoes!






Notes:

1) For the above recipe, I usually use 1 bottle of sauce for 2 or so pounds of boneless/skinless chicken breasts. This serves Bill and I adequately, with maybe a little leftover for lunch the next day. If you are cooking for an entire family or a large gathering of people, and are cooking 3 or more lbs of chicken, I would say it's best to use 2 bottles of BBQ sauce.

2) My amazing MIL, Martha, must be connected to my mind - because the other day she made us up a similar dinner, but used Jerk Marinade (she just used a bottle of the ones found in the grocery store - salad dressing aisle) - and it was AWESOME! So, I encourage you - be creative! Try a bottle of Thai marinade, or Hawaiian-inspired marinade!


I hope this serves to give you a Keeper recipe that tastes GREAT and is easy to resort to on a busy night!





What are your Simple Supper recipes? Email me at moderndaydonnareed@gmail.com


No comments :

Post a Comment

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google