Tasty Treat Thursday: Georgine's Banana Bread | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

February 19, 2009

Tasty Treat Thursday: Georgine's Banana Bread

There is nothing better than the smell of Banana Bread baking in the oven. I've tried several recipes, but there is one classic that never fails.

It's my Mom's.

And it's amazing.

This banana bread is so moist and sweet that my husband would rather burn his tongue eating it than wait for it to cool from the oven. I think some of the "secret ingredients" that makes it so good is using really really ripe bananas and using sour cream. That's just my theory, though. Otherwise, it's a complete mystery to me that I just need to trust...

I love making this bread and having it around for a few days (if my hubby leaves leftovers), so I can have a slice each morning with my coffee. Mmmmmm! It's pretty easy to make, too.

Let me know how you like it!




Tasty Treat Thursdays

Georgine's Banana Bread



Beat the following together in order:

1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
1 1/4 cups of sugar
2 eggs

In a smaller, separate bowl dissolve together:

1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
1/4 cup of sour cream (I've used regular, light AND fat free - all work the same)

Add the Dissolved Mixture to the Butter/Sugar mixture.

Blend the following with the above:

2-3 smashed VERY RIPE (I'm talking brown/black here, people)
1 1/2 cups of Flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Pour into an oiled/floured bread pan(s) (1 large or 2-3 small - whatever you have)

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes (or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry - my mom's recipe says 40 minutes, but mine usually take 60 - 75 minutes. I think it depends on the pan, the oven, the weather, etc).

Variations
1) Add a small package of chocolate chips
2) Add a handful of chopped nuts (into batter or just on top - it's up to you)

Let your household wake up to the tantalizing scents of baking Banana Bread this Saturday morning - they'll love you for it :)

What are your Tasty Treats??

1 comment :

  1. Bill - the boy who survived elementary school on banana bread lunches :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google