Tasty Treat Thursday - Valentine's Day Edition: Surprise Cupcakes | Confessions of a Stay-At-Home Mom

February 12, 2009

Tasty Treat Thursday - Valentine's Day Edition: Surprise Cupcakes

I am not the romantic type, and I confess my husband and I are not very good at celebrating things like Valentine's Day (to be honest, we have yet to celebrate our 2 year anniversary that was 2 months ago).

One thing I have enjoyed preparing for him on Valentine's Day is the tasty treat I am about to share with you. I got the idea from my mom, who made these treats for my father every year for Valentine's Day. With the exception of last year (I was pregnant and nauseous), I have done the same for my husband. For those reasons, these delicious morsels are near and dear to my heart.

Now, there is nothing inherently "Valentiney" about these tender vittles. If you are the creative type (or just big on thematic desserts), I encourage you to let your imagination get away from you. Use red and white sprinkles! Involve red food coloring! Incorporate heart candies! The sky is your decorating limit!

(note: These would also be super fun to make with your kids.)

Here is to celebrating love, one cupcake at a time...




Tasty Treat Thursdays - Valentine's Day Edtion

Surprise Cupcakes

(Preheat oven to 375)

Cupcakes:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 lb melted butter
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder mixed with a little bit of cold water (so it is a creamy consistency)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup warm water

"Surprise" Filling:
  • 8 oz cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • dash of salt
  • 12 oz package of chocolate chips

In large bowl, combine the cupcake ingredients in the above order. Insert cupcake liners into cupcake pan. Fill each cupcake 1/3 full with the cupcake batter.

In a smaller bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add egg and salt. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop one teaspoon of Filling mixture into each cupcake .

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.




What are your Valentine's Day project/gift ideas? Don't forget to share with me YOUR tasty treats!!


1 comment :

  1. thanks for the recipe steph, i am making them today. i'll let you know how they turn out

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Share a thought or two - I'd love to hear from you! ~ Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google